- Decimal is defined as a system of numbers or currency where everything is based on the number ten, or on parts of ten.
3.432 is an example of a number described as a decimal number.
- The definition of a decimal is a number written with a decimal point and a remainder that represents portions of ten.
An example of a decimal is 2.5 which is two and five tenths.
Origin of decimalOld French ; from Medieval Latin decimalis ; from Classical Latin decimus, tenth ; from decem, ten
- a. A linear array of digits that contains a single period, called the decimal point, is possibly preceded by a minus sign (−), and represents a real number, with each successive digit to the right of the decimal point indicating a multiple of the next negative power of 10, and each successive digit to the left of the decimal point indicating a multiple of the next non-negative power of ten, beginning with 100 = 1. For example, 245.3 represents the real number (2 × 102) + (4 × 101) + (5 × 100) + (3 × 10−1) = 200 + 40 + 5 + 3/10 , and −1.04 represents the real number (−1 × 100) + (−4 × 10−2). Also called mixed decimal.b. Such an array of digits in which there are no nonzero digits to the left of the decimal point, representing a real number between −1 and 1. Also called decimal fraction.
- A number written using the base 10.
- Expressed or expressible as a decimal.
- a. Based on 10.b. Numbered or ordered by groups of 10.
Origin of decimalMedieval Latin decimālis, of tenths or tithes, from Latin decima, a tenth part or tithe, from decem, ten; see dek&mlowring; in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural decimals)
- (arithmetic, computing, uncountable) The number system that uses the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
- (countable) A number expressed in this system.
- (informal) A decimal place.
- Pi has a value of 3.141, to three decimals.
- (informal) A numeral written as a concatenation of successive negative powers of the base.
- (informal) A decimal point.
- (arithmetic, computing) Concerning numbers expressed in decimal or mathematical calculations performed using decimal.
decimal - Computer Definition
Meaning 10. The numbering system used by humans, which is based on 10 digits. In contrast, computers use binary numbers because it is easier to design electronic systems that can maintain two states rather than 10.