- a masculine name: dim. Dan, Danny; fem. Danielle
- a Hebrew prophet whose faith saved him in the lions' den: Dan. 6:16-23
- the book containing his stories and prophecies: abbrev. Dan, Da, or Dn
Origin of DanielClassical Hebrew (language) d?ni'?l, literally , God is my judge
Origin of DanielHebrew Dānī'ēl, Dānīyēl God is my judge dān judge dyn -ī my 'ēl God ℵl
Origin of DanielAfter Daniel 1
- (US slang) The buttocks.
- A book in the Old Testament of the Bible.
- The prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel.
- A male given name in regular use since the Middle Ages.
- (rare) A female given name.
- A patronymic surname.
- A location in the state of Wyoming in the United States (Zip Code: 83115). (From the U.S. Census Bureau 1990)
From Ancient Greek Δανιήλ (Dānīēl), from Hebrew דניּאל (daniyél, “God is my judge”). Name borne from the prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel. [Oxford Names Companion, The]