- anything that deadens or depresses
- a movable plate or valve in the flue of a stove or furnace, for controlling the draft
- a device to check vibration in the strings of a stringed keyboard instrument
- a device for lessening the oscillation of a magnetic needle, a moving coil, etc.
See damper in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- One that deadens, restrains, or depresses: Rain put a damper on our picnic plans.
- An adjustable plate, as in the flue of a furnace or stove, for controlling the draft.
a. A device in various keyboard instruments for deadening the vibrations of the strings.
b. A mute for various brass instruments.
- A device that eliminates or progressively diminishes vibrations or oscillations, as of a magnetic needle.
Learn more about damper