- pl. -·tas or -·ta a member of any of a group of North American Indian peoples (also called Sioux) of the plains of the N U.S. and adjacent S Canada
- the Siouan language of this group
Origin of Dakota; from Dakota dakóta, allies ; from da, to think of as + koda, friend
- of the Dakota Indians or their language or culture
- of North Dakota, South Dakota, or both
North Dakota and South Dakota
former U.S. territory (1861-89), orig. including an area that is present-day N.Dak., S.Dak., and much of what is now Wyo. & Mont.
Origin of Dakota; from Dakota
nounpl. Dakota or Da·ko·tas
- a. See Santee.b. The Siouan language of the Santee.
- A member of any of the Sioux or any of their languages. No longer in scholarly use.
- A member of the Dakota people.