critical masscritical mass
- the minimum amount of fissile material that can sustain a nuclear chain reaction under a given set of conditions
- the minimum amount or number required for something to happen, begin, etc.
- The smallest mass of a fissionable material that will sustain a nuclear chain reaction at a constant level.
- The total mass of matter needed to generate sufficient gravitational force to halt the current expansion of the universe.
- An amount or level needed for a specific result or new action to occur: “[Plastic bags are] so nearly weightless that it's difficult to gather enough of a critical mass to make recycling them economically worthwhile” (Susan Freinkel).
(plural critical masses)
- A direct action event in which bicycle riders travel through city streets as a group.
critical mass - Investment & Finance Definition
The point at which a company can achieve self-sustaining viability because its revenues have risen enough to make the business activity profitable because the related costs are spread across a wide range of customers.