- The quality, state, or degree of being of the highest importance: “The challenge of our future food supply is approaching criticality” ( New York Times )
- Physics a. The point at which a nuclear reaction is self-sustaining.b. The state of a substance or system at its critical point.
- The state of being critical
- (education) A disposition for purposeful thinking and acting guided by criteria that are considered to be contextually appropriate and that are expected to result in positive outcomes related to the purpose.
- (physics) The point at which a nuclear reaction becomes self-sustaining