Origin of coutureFr, sewing, seam from Vulgar Latin an unverified form consutura, seam from Classical Latin consutus, past participle of consuere, to sew, stitch, join from con-, together (see com-) + suere, to sew
The definition of couture is fashionable and cutting-edge designer clothes, or the design of such clothes.
An example of couture is a hot designer dress.
the work or business of designing new fashions in women's clothes; also, women's clothes in new or specially designed fashions
- The business of designing, making, and selling highly fashionable, usually custom-made clothing.
- Dressmakers and fashion designers considered as a group.
- The high-fashion clothing created by designers.
Origin of coutureFrench sewing from Old French cousture from Vulgar Latin cōnsūtūra from Latin cōnsuere cōnsūt- to sew together com- com- suere to sew ; see syū- in Indo-European roots.
- (fashion) The production of high-end, custom-made clothing
Shortening of haute couture, thus ultimately from French couture
- The sometimes controversial designs and slogans of Juicy Couture drew international attention as tracksuits and underwear began to sport sayings on the rears, and phrases such as "Go Couture Yourself" became synonymous with the Juicy name.
- More importantly, if you're a fan of Betsey Johnson clothing, then these handbags can accentuate almost any of her designs; because buying bohemian couture means you never have to say you're sorry for not matching…for really not matching.
- You'll be a pastel pink couture queen when you hit the shoreline, and although you'll be paying a fair amount for these fashionable ensembles, you will also be the owner of some of the most-coveted couture items that celebrities swear by.
- Nicole Kidman: Though perhaps the sweetest dress of the night, Kidman's Chanel couture gown drew slight criticism for its airy, almost frothy pink hue, which blended right into her fair skin and seemed to clash with her vibrant red hair.
- In the early eighties, jewelry and accessories were introduced, making Versace Sunglasses available.Although known for glamour and high couture style, the Versace sunglass collection targets comfort and eye protection as much as fashion.