- The definition of couture is fashionable and cutting-edge designer clothes, or the design of such clothes.
An example of couture is a hot designer dress.
the work or business of designing new fashions in women's clothes; also, women's clothes in new or specially designed fashions
Origin of coutureFrench sewing, seam ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form consutura, seam ; from Classical Latin consutus, past participle of consuere, to sew, stitch, join ; from con-, together (see com-) + suere, to sew
- The business of designing, making, and selling highly fashionable, usually custom-made clothing for women.
- Dressmakers and fashion designers considered as a group.
- The high-fashion clothing created by designers.
Origin of coutureFrench, sewing, from Old French cousture, from Vulgar Latin *cōnsūtūra, from Latin cōnsuere, cōnsūt-, to sew together : com-, com- + suere, to sew; see syū- in Indo-European roots.
- (fashion) The production of high-end, custom-made clothing