- a former sailing warship larger than a sloop and smaller than a frigate, usually with one tier of guns
- a fast warship smaller than a destroyer and used chiefly for convoy duty
Origin of corvetteFr, probably ; from Middle Dutch korver, pursuit ship ; from MLG korf, kind of boat, basket ; from Classical Latin corbis, basket: see corbeil
- A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer, often armed for antisubmarine operations.
- An obsolete sailing warship, smaller than a frigate, usually armed with one tier of guns.
Origin of corvetteFrench, a kind of warship, probably from Middle Dutch corf, basket, small ship; see corf.
- (nautical, historical) A flush-decked warship of the 17th-18th centuries having a single tier of guns; it ranked next below a frigate; -- called in the United States navy a sloop of war.
- (nautical) In a modern navy, a lightly armed and armoured blue water warship, smaller than a frigate, capable of transoceanic duty.
- A sports car, manufactured by Chevrolet from 1953 to present, an American icon.