coralline[kôr′ə līn′, -lin]
- any animal related to or resembling the corals
- any of a family (Corallinaceae) of red algae that produce limestone
Origin of corallineModern Latin corallina ; from the adjective
- consisting of coral or corallines
- resembling coral, esp. in color
Origin of corallineLL corallinus, coral-red
- Of, consisting of, or producing coral.
- Resembling coral, especially in color.
- Any of various red algae of the family Corallinaceae whose fronds are covered with calcareous deposits.
- Any of various organisms that resemble coral, such as certain bryozoans.
Origin of corallineFrench corallin, from Late Latin corallīnus, from Latin corallium, coral; see coral.
(comparative more coralline, superlative most coralline)