- The definition of consensus is an agreement made by a group.
An example of consensus is when Republicans and Democrats agree on language for a bill.
- Consensus means generally accepted opinion.
An example of consensus is most people believing that it is wrong to kill another person.
consensus definition by Webster's New World
- an opinion held by all or most
- general agreement, esp. in opinion
Origin: Classical Latin ; from past participle of consentire: see consent
consensus definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole: “Among political women . . . there is a clear consensus about the problems women candidates have traditionally faced” (Wendy Kaminer). See Usage Note at redundancy.
- General agreement or accord: government by consensus.
Origin: Latin cōnsēnsus, from past participle of cōnsentīre, to agree; see consent.