Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a person who confesses
- a Christian who suffered for his or her faith
- R.C.Ch. a male saint who was not a martyr
- a priest authorized to hear confessions
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One who confesses.
- One who confesses faith in Christianity in the face of persecution but does not suffer martyrdom.
- a. A priest who hears confession and gives absolution.b. A priest who is one's spiritual mentor.