A statue of Christopher Columbus in Chicago.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- capital of Ohio, in the central part: pop. 711,000
- city in W Ga., on the Chattahoochee River: pop. 186,000
Origin: after Christopher Columbus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A city of western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River south-southwest of Atlanta. Settled in 1828 on the site of a Creek village, it is a port of entry and major industrial center. Population: 189,000.
- A city of south-central Indiana south-southeast of Indianapolis. It was a supply depot for Union troops during the Civil War. Population: 39,700.
- The capital of Ohio, in the central part of the state. Laid out in 1812, it is a major industrial, commercial, and cultural center. Population: 733,000.
, Christopher 1451-1506.
Columbus - Cultural Definition
Capital of Ohio.