A statue of Christopher Columbus in Chicago.
Columbus definition by Webster's New World
Columbus, Christopher (It. name Cristoforo Colombo; Sp. name Cristóbal Colón) 1451?-1506; It. explorer in the service of Spain: discovered America (1492)
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- capital of Ohio, in the central part: pop. 711,000
- city in W Ga., on the Chattahoochee River: pop. 186,000
Origin: after Christopher Columbus
Columbus definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A city of western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River south-southwest of Atlanta. Settled in 1828 on the site of a Creek village, it is a port of entry and major industrial center. Population: 189,000.
- A city of south-central Indiana south-southeast of Indianapolis. It was a supply depot for Union troops during the Civil War. Population: 39,700.
- The capital of Ohio, in the central part of the state. Laid out in 1812, it is a major industrial, commercial, and cultural center. Population: 733,000.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
, Christopher 1451-1506.
Italian explorer in the service of Spain who determined that the earth was round and attempted to reach Asia by sailing west from Europe, thereby reaching America (1492). He made three subsequent voyages to the Caribbean in his quest for a sea route to China.
Columbus - Cultural Definition
Capital of Ohio.