cliffhanger definition by Webster's New World
☆ or cliff-hanger
- an early type of serialized film in which each episode ended with a suspenseful climax, as the hero hanging from a cliff
- any highly suspenseful story, situation, etc.
cliffhanger definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A melodramatic serial in which each episode ends in suspense.
- A suspenseful situation occurring at the end of a chapter, scene, or episode.
- A contest so closely matched that the outcome is uncertain until the end.
- cliffˈhangˌing adjective