- ⌂ any of several small, freshwater cyprinoid fishes often used as bait
- any of several freshwater ciscos (genus Coregonus) of N regions
- any of a number of marine fishes with a small mouth; esp., any of a family (Kyphosidae) of percoid fishes
Origin of chubLate Middle English chubbe
nounpl. chub or chubs
- Any of various usually stout-bodied freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, especially a Eurasian species, Leuciscus cephalus.
- Any of various other fishes, such as several freshwater whitefishes of the genus Coregonus or various marine fishes of the family Kyphosidae.
Origin of chubMiddle English chubbe.
Origin of chubPerhaps back-formation from chubby.
(plural chubs or chub)
Recorded since c.1450, from Middle English chubbe (“the river fish”), of unknown origin.
Back-formation from chubby.