Origin of chock-fullMiddle English chokkeful, chekefull from choke, cheke, cheek + -ful, -ful; now often associated, association with chock, choke
Origin of chock-fullMiddle English chokkeful chokke- of unknown meaning ( perhaps from choken to choke ; see choke . ) ( or from chokken to thrust ) ( from Old French choquer to collide with ; see shock 1. ) -ful -ful
(comparative more chockfull, superlative most chockfull)
- Alternative form of chock full.
- Alternative spelling of chock full.
From "English Language and Usage" site: c.1400, chokkeful “crammed full,” possibly from choke “cheek” (see cheek (n.)). Or it may be from Old French choquier “collide, crash, hit” [similar to shock]. Middle English chokkeful already had the same meaning as modern chock-full. Both this word and choke “to strangle” likely derive ultimately from Old English words meaning “jaw, cheek.” The end result is the same: a mouthful.
Alternately, chokkeful may derive from a more violent word: forced full.
(Some offer a false etymology based on the kind of chocks used in carpentry and shipbuilding: full up to the chocks, perhaps. However that sense of chock only dates to the 1670s, far too late to influence the Middle English word.)
From "Online Etymology Dictionary" site: c.1400, chokkeful "crammed full," possibly from choke "cheek" (see cheek (n.)). Or it may be from Old French choquier "collide, crash, hit" (13c., Modern French choquer), which is probably from Germanic (cf. Middle Dutch schokken; see shock (n.1)).
- It is chock-full of recipes, tips and projects for creating your own organic products and treatments using common ingredients from your own garden, the grocery store, a farmer's market or even in nearby fields.
- The company's official web site is chock-full of positive testimonials swearing to the miraculous nature of the product, but the few independent reviews that exist have some serious reservations.
- The European chain is always right on top of the latest fashion choices, so it's no surprise that its men section is chock-full of bold, edgy tops.
- Today's breed of games are chock-full of visuals, complex storylines, strange control mechanisms and other barriers of entry to non-gamers.
- Make sure your diet for healthy hair is chock-full of nutrient rich fruits and vegetables, and you're one step closer to fabulous locks.