- a small rodent (Chinchilla laniger) found in the Andes, but bred extensively elsewhere for its fur
- the valuable, soft, pale-gray fur of this animal
- a variety of Persian cat, typically pure white
Origin of chinchillaprob. after Chinchilla, Sp town where first made a heavy cloth of wool, or wool and cotton, with a tufted, napped surface, used for making overcoats
Origin of chinchillaSp, probably diminutive of chinche: see chinch
- a. Either of two rodents of the genus Chinchilla that are native to the mountains of South America and are widely raised in captivity for their soft, pale gray fur.b. The fur of either of these animals.
- A thick twilled cloth of wool and cotton used for overcoats.
Origin of chinchillaSpanish probably of Aymara origin
(countable and uncountable, plural chinchillas)