- a member of the lowest rank of the French Legion of Honor
- a chivalrous man; gallant; cavalier
- Historical a French noble of the lowest rank
- Archaic a knight
Origin of chevalierMiddle English and Anglo-French chevaler from Late Latin caballarius: see cavalier
- A member of certain male orders of knighthood or merit, such as the Legion of Honor in France.
- a. A French nobleman of the lowest rank.b. Used as a title for such a nobleman.
- A knight.
- A chivalrous man.
Origin of chevalierMiddle English chevaler from Old French chevalier from Late Latin caballārius horseman ; see cavalier .
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin caballus