A pad of checks in a checkbook.
The check or written order that you write to tell your bank to pay your utility bill is an example of a cheque.
- (Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, UK) A draft directing a bank to pay money to a named person or entity.
- I was not carrying cash, so I wrote a cheque for the amount.
Influenced by exchequer, from Old French eschequier (see further etymology at check).
- Buyers can purchase a specific cheque amount to use for entertainment or gas purchases each month.
- American Express Travelers Cheque Cards are similar to the Travelers Cheques which were once standard fare for travelers.
- If you lose your Gift Cheque, or it is stolen, American Express will stop payment on the lost or stolen cheque.
- One of the key benefits to using the Gift Cheque is that American Express provides protection for users.
- Once you are ready to spend it, fill out the "pay to the order" line on the front of the gift cheque.