Variant of chance
- the happening of events without apparent cause, or the apparent absence of cause or design; fortuity; luck: to leave things to chance
- an unpredictable event or accidental happening
- a risk or gamble
- a ticket in a lottery or raffle
- an advantageous or opportune time or occasion; opportunity: you'll have a chance to go
- a possibility or probability: there is little chance of success; what are their chances of winning?
- Archaic a mishap; mischance
- ☆ Baseball an opportunity to field a ball on which a fielder is credited with a putout or assist, or charged with an error
Origin: Middle English chaunce ; from Old French cheance ; from Vulgar Latin cadentia, that which falls out ; from Classical Latin cadens, present participle of cadere, to fall: see case
- to have the fortune, good or bad: I chanced to see them
- to happen by chance
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.