A catamaran at sunset.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a narrow log raft or float propelled by sails or paddles
- a boat, specif. a racing sailboat, with two parallel hulls, built in the style of such a float
- Cdn. a large sled, as for hauling wood
Origin: Tamil kaṭṭumaram ; from kaṭṭu, tie plush maram, log, tree
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A boat with two parallel hulls or floats, especially a light sailboat with a mast mounted on a transverse frame joining the hulls.
- A raft of logs or floats lashed together and propelled by paddles or sails.
Origin: Tamil kaṭṭumaram : kaṭṭu, to tie + maram, wood, log.