- a narrow log raft or float propelled by sails or paddles
- a boat, specif. a racing sailboat, with two parallel hulls, built in the style of such a float
- Cdn. a large sled, as for hauling wood
Origin of catamaranTamil ka??umaram ; from ka??u, tie + maram, log, tree
- A boat with two parallel hulls or floats, especially a light sailboat with a mast mounted on a transverse frame joining the hulls.
- A raft of logs or floats lashed together and propelled by paddles or sails.
Origin of catamaranTamil ka&tlowdot;&tlowdot;umaram : ka&tlowdot;&tlowdot;u, to tie + maram, wood, log.
From Tamil கட்டு (kaṭṭu, “to tie”) + மரம் (maram, “tree, wood”).