- of, near, or affecting the heart
- relating to the part of the stomach connected with the esophagus
Origin of cardiacFrench cardiaque from Classical Latin cardiacus from Classical Greek kardiakos from kardia, heart
- a medicine that stimulates cardiac action
- a person with a heart disorder
- Of, near, or relating to the heart: cardiac arteries. See Usage Note at coronary.
- Of or relating to the cardia.
Origin of cardiacMiddle English from Latin cardiacus from Greek kardiakos from kardiā heart ; see kerd- in Indo-European roots.
From Middle French cardiaque, from Latin cardiacus, from Ancient Greek καρδιακός (kardiakos, “relating to the heart”), from καρδία (kardia, “heart”).