- a church choir leader; precentor
- a singer of liturgical solos in a synagogue, who leads the congregation in prayer; hazan
Origin of cantorL, singer, poet, actor (in LL(Ec), precentor) from canere: see chant
1845-1918; Ger. mathematician, born in Russia
- The Jewish religious official who leads the musical part of a service.
- The person who leads a church choir or congregation in singing; a precentor.
Origin of cantorLatin singer from canere to sing ; see kan- in Indo-European roots.
- singer, especially someone who takes a special role of singing or song leading at a ceremony
- The cantor's place in church is on the right of the choir