- The definition of calligraphy refers to a special, formal style of handwriting.
The formal writing often used on wedding invitations is an example of calligraphy.
A greeting written with calligraphy.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- beautiful handwriting, esp. as an art
- handwriting; penmanship
Origin: Classical Greek kalligraphia ; from kalligraphos ; from kallos, beauty plush graphein, to write: see graphic
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The art of fine handwriting.b. Works in fine handwriting considered as a group.
Origin: French calligraphie, from Greek kalligraphiā, beautiful writing : kalli-, beautiful (from kallos, beauty) + -graphiā, -graphy.
- cal·ligˈra·pher, cal·ligˈra·phist noun
- calˌli·graphˈic adjective