- the leaves of the taro, or, sometimes, other plants, cooked and eaten as a vegetable
- a West Indian stew or soup made with this vegetable and, typically, crabmeat, okra, pork, and coconut milk
- The edible spinachlike leaves of dasheen or any of several species of amaranth.
- A soup or stew made of these leaves or other greens, okra, crabmeat, and seasonings.
Origin of callalooAmerican Spanish calulú, plant of genus Xanthosoma whose leaves are used as greens, perhaps from Tupí caárurú, thick leaf.
- Any of various tropical plants grown in the Americas, especially of the genus Xanthosoma, cultivated for their edible leaves.
- A spicy soup or stew made from such leaves.
From American Spanish calalú.