breeding groundbreeding ground
This dirty sink is a breeding ground for germs.
The definition of a breeding ground is a location, area, or conditions under which something is likely to develop or multiply.
An example of a breeding ground is a dirty, filthy room with food left out so that bacteria was very likely to grow on it.
- a place where many animals of a specified kind breed: swamps are breeding grounds for mosquitoes
- a place, condition, etc. that fosters some activity, idea, etc.
- A place where animals breed.
- A place or set of circumstances that encourages the development of certain ideas or conditions: a laboratory that is a breeding ground for new inventions.
(plural breeding grounds)
- Alternative form of breeding-ground.
- A place or region where animals go to breed.
- (figuratively) A place or institution seen as creating large numbers of a stated thing, type of person, etc.