- a stew of various fish, crustacean shellfish, vegetables, and seasonings: the broth is served over bread slices, often with a spicy garlic sauce, and the fish and vegetables are served alongside
- any of various similar stews or soups
Origin of bouillabaisseFrench ; from ProvenÃ§al boulh-abaisso, literally , boils and settles ; from bouli (Fr bouillir), to boil + abaissa (Fr abaisser): see abase
- A highly seasoned stew made of several kinds of fish and shellfish.
- A combination of various different, often incongruous elements: a bouillabaisse of special interests.
Origin of bouillabaisseFrench, from Provençal bouiabaisso : boui, imperative of bouie, to boil (from Latin bull&imacron;re, from bulla, bubble) + abaisso, imperative of abeissa, to lower (from Vulgar Latin *abbassi&amacron;re : Latin ad-, ad- + Medieval Latin bassus, low).
- A bouillabaisse, a type of French fish soup.
- (figuratively) A mixture.
- intellectual bouillabaisse
- the radical bouillabaisse that is American politics