Variant of bath
noun pl. baths
- a washing or dipping of a thing, esp. the body, in water or other liquid, steam, etc.
- water or other liquid for bathing, or for dipping, cleaning, soaking, regulating temperature, etc.
- a container for such liquid
- a bathtub
- a bathroom
- a building or set of rooms for bathing
- in ancient Greece and Rome, a building used for public bathing, relaxation, etc. and as a social center
- a resort where bathing is part of the medical treatment; spa
- the condition of being covered with a liquid
- a material that acts as a medium for regulating the temperature of things put in or on it
- the container for this
- Metallurgy molten metal in a furnace
- Photog. a solution used in developing, fixing, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English bæth ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhe-, to warm from source bake
transitive verb, intransitive verb