- The definition of baseball is relating to the sports game between two teams where players have to hit a ball with a bat in order to score runs.
An example of baseball used as an adjective is in the phrase "baseball mitt," which means a mitt used in this game.
- Baseball is defined as a sports game played with a bat and a ball between two teams where players have to hit a ball and score runs, or the ball used in this game.
- An example of baseball is the sport that the New York Yankees play.
- An example of baseball is the white, rawhide-covered ball used by the New York Yankees.
baseball definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- ☆ a game (esp. hardball, ) played with a bat and a ball by two opposing teams of nine or ten players on a field with four bases: each team takes turns batting against the opponent's pitcher and tries to score more runs than the other team
- ☆ the ball used in playing hardball: it is hard, usually white and rawhide-covered, and smaller than a softball
baseball definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A game played with a bat and ball by two opposing teams of nine players, each team playing alternately in the field and at bat, the players at bat having to run a course of four bases laid out in a diamond pattern in order to score.b. The ball that is used in this game.
- A game of darts in which the players attempt to score points by throwing the darts at a target laid out in the form of a baseball diamond.