- Of, relating to, or resembling balsam.
- Containing or yielding balsam.
- Restorative; curative.
From balsam +â€Ž -ic.
Variant of balsam
- any of various oily or gummy aromatic resins obtained from various plants and containing either benzoic or cinnamic acid
- any of various aromatic, resinous oils or fluids
- any aromatic preparation made with balsam, as certain medical dressings
- anything healing or soothing; balm
- any of various plants or trees of various families that yield balsam, as the balsam fir
- any of various species of the impatiens, esp. the garden balsam
Origin of balsamOld English ; from Classical Latin balsamum: see balm
designating a family (Balsaminaceae, order Geraniales) of dicotyledonous plants, including jewelweed and impatiens