- a stroke backward, or a backhanded stroke
- a stroke made by lying face upward; esp., a racing stroke in which the arms are stretched alternately over the head and the legs are moved in a flutter kick
- a contest in which each participant uses such a stroke
intransitive verb-·stroked·, -·strok·ing
to perform a backstroke
to hit with a backstroke
- Sports a. A swimming stroke performed on one's back, especially one using alternating overarm strokes and a flutter kick.b. A race or a leg of a race in which this stroke is swum.
- A backhanded stroke or motion.
- A stroke or motion in the direction of an original starting point: a saw that cuts on the backstroke.
(third-person singular simple present backstrokes, present participle backstroking, simple past and past participle backstroked)
- To swim the backstroke.