- a stroke backward, or a backhanded stroke
- a stroke made by a swimmer lying face upward; esp., a racing stroke in which the arms are stretched alternately over the head and the legs are moved in a flutter kick
- a contest in which each participant uses such a stroke
intransitive verb backstroked, backstroking
to perform a backstroke
to hit with a backstroke
See backstroke in American Heritage Dictionary 4
a. A swimming stroke performed on one's back, especially one using alternating overarm strokes and a flutter kick.
b. A race or a leg of a race in which this stroke is swum.
- A backhanded stroke or motion.
- A stroke or motion in the direction of an original starting point: a saw that cuts on the backstroke.
Learn more about backstroke