automata[ô täm′ə tə]
- Examples of automata are robots that vacuum floors without being pushed by a person.
- People who work for 12 hours each day, eat dinner and go to bed are examples of automata.
The definition of automata means robots or machines that operate under their own power, or people who have boring or ordinary lifestyles.
A plural of automaton.
- plural form of automaton
Variant of automaton
nounpl. automatons or automata
- anything that can move or act of itself
- an apparatus that automatically performs certain actions by responding to preset controls or encoded instructions
- an electronic machine, control device, etc. equipped with a computer and designed to operate automatically in response to instructions previously fed into the computer
- a person or animal acting in an automatic or mechanical way
Origin of automatonClassical Latin ; from Classical Greek neuter of automatos: see automatic