automata[ô täm′ə tə]
- The definition of automata means robots or machines that operate under their own power, or people who have boring or ordinary lifestyles.
- Examples of automata are robots that vacuum floors without being pushed by a person.
- People who work for 12 hours each day, eat dinner and go to bed are examples of automata.
A plural of automaton.
- plural form of automaton
Variant of automaton
nounpl. automatons or automata
- anything that can move or act of itself
- an apparatus that automatically performs certain actions by responding to preset controls or encoded instructions
- an electronic machine, control device, etc. equipped with a computer and designed to operate automatically in response to instructions previously fed into the computer
- a person or animal acting in an automatic or mechanical way
Origin of automatonClassical Latin ; from Classical Greek neuter of automatos: see automatic