- the external part of the ear; pinna
- Obs. an atrium of the heart
- Biol. an earlike part or organ
Origin of auricleMiddle English from Classical Latin auricula, diminutive of auris, ear
- Anatomy a. The outer projecting portion of the ear. Also called pinna .b. See atrium.
- Biology An earlobe-shaped part, process, or appendage, especially at the base of an organ.
Origin of auricleMiddle English auricle of the heart from Old French little ear from Latin auricula ear earlier diminutive of auris ear ; see ous- in Indo-European roots.