- disturbances in reception, produced by natural electric discharges, as in a storm; static
- the phenomena producing these disturbances
- prevailing mood or influence
- (used with a sing. verb)a. Electromagnetic radiation produced by natural phenomena such as lightning.b. Radio interference produced by electromagnetic radiation. Also called sferics.
- (used with a pl. verb)a. Features, events, or statements intended to create a particular mood or attitude: “[This book] is full of fiction unconcerned with spooky atmospherics or suspense; most of the collection's stories are about cruel humans and the violence they commit” (Ken Tucker).b. The mood or attitude so created.