- disturbances in reception, produced by natural electric discharges, as in a storm; static
- the phenomena producing these disturbances
- prevailing mood or influence
- used with a sing. verb a. Electromagnetic radiation produced by natural phenomena such as lightning.b. Radio interference produced by electromagnetic radiation. Also called sferics .
- used with a pl. verb a. Features, events, or statements intended to create a particular mood or attitude: “[This book] is full of fiction unconcerned with spooky atmospherics or suspense; most of the collection's stories are about cruel humans and the violence they commit” ( Ken Tucker )b. The mood or attitude so created.
- Electromagnetic radiation that is in the same range as radio frequencies and is produced by natural phenomena (such as lightning) and interferes with radio communications.
- The radio interference produced by this electromagnetic radiation.