- a square-cut building stone
- a thin, dressed, square stone used for facing masonry walls
- masonry made of either kind of ashlar
Origin of ashlarMiddle English assheler from Old French aisseler from aissele, shingle, diminutive from ais, board from Classical Latin assis, board, akin to asser, beam, plank
- a. A squared block of building stone.b. Masonry of such stones.
- A thin, dressed rectangle of stone for facing walls.
Origin of ashlarMiddle English assheler from Old French aisselier board from aissele from Medieval Latin axicellus from Latin assis