- a kind of cat with long, silky furin full Angora cat
- a kind of goat raised for its long, silky hairin full Angora goat
- this hair (Angora wool) or the cloth made from this hair; mohair
- a kind of goat raised for its long, silky hair
- a long-eared rabbit, raised for its long, silky hairin full Angora rabbit
- this hair
- a soft yarn made from this hair and used esp. for sweaters, etc.
- a long-eared rabbit, raised for its long, silky hair
Origin of Angoraafter Angora, former name of Ankara
Also, for senses 2b, 3b, 3c, angora
- often angora a. The hair of the Angora goat or of the Angora rabbit. Also called Angora wool .b. A yarn or fabric made from either of these kinds of hair.
- An Angora cat.
- An Angora goat.
- An Angora rabbit.
Origin of AngoraAfter Angora (Ankara), Turkey
Ancient name of the city Ankara in Turkey, which has given its name to several breeds of animal. From Ancient Greek ἄγκυρα (ankura, “anchor”).