constitutional capital of the Netherlands: seaport on an inlet of the IJsselmeer & a ship canal to the North Sea
The constitutional capital and largest city of the Netherlands, in the western part of the country. Linked to the North Sea by a ship canal, the city has an important stock exchange and is a major center of the diamond-cutting industry.x
- A major Dutch port city in North-Holland, nominal capital of The Netherlands.
- The Dutch seat of government is not metropolis of Amsterdam but The Hague.
- He spent two years from 1886 to 1888 in travelling, and visited Riga Polytechnic and the universities of Wiirzburg, Graz, Amsterdam and Leipzig.
- Bosscha, Het Leven van Willem den Tweede, Koning der Nederlanden, 1793-1849 (Amsterdam, 1852); P. Blok, Geschiedenis der Nederlandsche Volk (Leiden, 1908).
- Among these towns were Franeker in Friesland, Harderwyk, Deventer, Utrecht, Leiden, Amersfoort, Amsterdam, Leeuwarden in Friesland.
- But I have just been at Leyden and Amsterdam to ask after Galileo's cosmical system as I imagined I had heard of its being printed last year in Italy.
- Descartes replied to Vat directly in a letter, published at Amsterdam in 1643.