A city of northwest India near the Pakistani border. Founded in 1577 by the fourth guru of the Sikhs, Ram Das (1534-1581), it has remained the center of the Sikh faith. In the Amritsar massacre of April 13, 1919, hundreds of Indian nationalists were killed by British-led troops.x
- AMRITSAR, or Umritsar, a city and district of British India, in the Lahore division of the Punjab.
- Amritsar is chiefly notable as the centre of the Sikh religion and the site of the Golden Temple, the chief worshipping place of the Sikhs.
- The population of the nearest big city was growing.
- Amritsar is famous for its carpet-weaving industry.
- Amritsar district is a nearly level plain, with a very slight slope from east to west.