- The definition of agrarian is relating to land, the ownership of land or to farming.
A town based around farming is an example of an agrarian community.
agrarian definition by Webster's New World
- relating to land or to the ownership or division of land
- of agriculture or farmers generally
- promoting land reform or the interests of farmers
Origin: ; from Classical Latin agrarius ; from ager, a field: see acre
- agrarianism noun
agrarian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Relating to or concerning the land and its ownership, cultivation, and tenure.
- a. Relating to agricultural or rural matters.b. Intended to further agricultural interests: agrarian lobbyists.
Origin: From Latin agrārius, from ager, agr-, field; see agro- in Indo-European roots.
- a·grarˈi·an·ly adverb