- The definition of an agony aunt is a British advice columnist who gives advice when people write in with problems.
A woman who writes an advice column for the newspaper who gives advice on letters with problems related to family and dating relationships is an example of an agony aunt.
Brit., Informal a person, esp. a woman, who replies to the letters of readers in a newspaper or magazine column () giving advice, consolation, etc.
(plural agony aunts)
- A writer of an advice column in a newspaper or other periodical.
- You should write in to the agony aunt; she'll sort it out for you.
- Someone who people commonly go to for advice about personal problems, often annoyingly so.
- I'm sick of everyone coming to me with their problems - I never wanted to be an agony aunt!