aestheticism[es t̸het′i siz′əm]
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- the doctrine that aesthetic principles underlie all human values
- sensitivity to art and beauty
- the artificial cultivation of artistic sensitivity
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Devotion to and pursuit of the beautiful; sensitivity to artistic beauty and refined taste.
- The doctrine that beauty is the basic principle from which all other principles, especially moral ones, are derived.