- a person who has or likes to have adventures
- soldier of fortune (sense )
- a financial speculator
- a person who seeks to become rich, powerful, etc. by dubious schemes
- One that seeks adventure.
- A soldier of fortune.
- A heavy speculator in stocks, business, or trade.
- One that attempts to gain wealth and social position unscrupulously.
- One who adventures; as, the merchant adventurers; one who seeks his fortune in new and hazardous or perilous enterprises.
- A soldier of fortune, a speculator.
- A social pretender on the lookout for advancement; one who pushes his fortune by equivocal means, as false pretences.
- (video games) A player of adventure games or text adventures.
Compare French aventurier; adventure + -er.