The definition of adventitious is something added from outside or something that occurs by chance or accident.adjective
An example of adventitious is accidentally stumbling upon a cure for a disease while researching the components of a newly discovered plant.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- added from outside; not inherent; accidental
- occurring in unusual or abnormal places: adventitious roots growing on a stem
Origin: L adventicius, coming from abroad: see Advent
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Not inherent but added extrinsically. See Synonyms at accidental.
- Biology Of or belonging to a structure that develops in an unusual place: adventitious roots.
Origin: From Latin adventīcius, foreign, from adventus, arrival; see advent .
- adˌven·tiˈtious·ly adverb
- adˌven·tiˈtious·ness noun
adventitious - Medical Definition
- Arising from an external source or occurring in an unusual place or manner; extrinsic.
- Occurring accidentally or spontaneously, not caused by heredity.