adventitious[ad′ven tis̸h′əs, -vən-]
- The definition of adventitious is something added from outside or something that occurs by chance or accident.
An example of adventitious is accidentally stumbling upon a cure for a disease while researching the components of a newly discovered plant.
- added from outside; not inherent; accidental
- occurring in unusual or abnormal places: adventitious roots growing on a stem
Origin of adventitiousClassical Latin adventicius, coming from abroad: see Advent
- Arising from an external cause or factor; not inherent: “These rodents &ellipsis; appear suddenly in the Oligocene, as if by adventitious entrance independent of the rest of the fauna” (George Gaylord Simpson).
- Biology Of or belonging to a structure that develops in an unusual place: adventitious roots.
Origin of adventitiousFrom Latin adventīcius, foreign, from adventus, arrival; see advent .
adventitious roots of a corn plant
(comparative more adventitious, superlative most adventitious)
From Latin adventicius (“foreign”), from adveniō (“arrive”).