Adonis[ə dän′is, -dōn′-]
- The definition of Adonis is a good looking young man from Greek mythology with whom Aphrodite fell in love, or a good looking young man.
- An example of Adonis is the Greek god of love and desire.
- An example of an adonis is male model Rob Evans.
- Gr. Myth. a handsome young man loved by Aphrodite: he is killed by a wild boar
- any very handsome young man
Origin of AdonisClassical Latin ; from Classical Greek Adōnis
- Greek Mythology A strikingly beautiful youth loved by Aphrodite, who transformed the drops of his blood into anemones after he was killed by a boar.
- often adonis A handsome young man.
Origin of AdonisGreek Adōnis, of Phoenician origin; see ℵd in Semitic roots.
- A beautiful man.
From Ancient Greek Ἄδωνις (Adōnis).