Variant of adapter
- A device or application used to achieve operative compatibility between devices that otherwise are incompatible.
- He required an adaptor to tow a light trailer behind his truck.
- Specifically, a device that allows one format of plug to be used with a different format of socket.
- We had to buy adaptors to use our English appliances in Australia.
- Specifically, an AC-adaptor: a device that reduces voltage and converts AC to DC to allow a battery-powered device to use mains power.
- I lost my cellphone's adaptor so I couldn't recharge it.
- (rare) A double-adaptor: a device that enables two devices to take power from a single socket.
- (this interpretation is more common for adapter)
- (rare) A multi-outlet or power-strip: a device that enables multiple devices to take power from a single socket.
- (this interpretation may be more common for adapter)
- One who adapts a thing, e.g. a play.
- The critic gave rave reviews to the adaptor of the ancient play, who worked to give the text more relevance to the modern day.
- One who is capable of adapting well to differing situations.
- He was an able adaptor, and could easily adjust to the differences when the company changed ownership.
From adapt +"Ž -or.