- a person or thing that adapts
- a contrivance for adapting apparatus to new uses
- a connecting device for parts that would not otherwise fit together
See adapter in American Heritage Dictionary 4
also a·dap·tor noun
- One that adapts, such as a device used to effect operative compatibility between different parts of one or more pieces of apparatus.
- Computer Science A hardware device, such as a printed circuit board, that enables a personal computer to use additional peripheral devices or hardware.
Learn more about adapter