- a person or thing that adapts
- a contrivance for adapting apparatus to new uses
- a connecting device for parts that would not otherwise fit together
- One that adapts, such as a device used to effect operative compatibility between different parts of one or more pieces of apparatus.
- See expansion card.
- One who is capable of adapting well to differing situations.
- He was an able adapter, and could easily adjust to the differences when the company changed ownership.
- One who adapts a thing, e.g. a play.
- The critic gave rave reviews to the adapter of the ancient play, who worked to give the text more relevance to the modern day.
- A device or application used to achieve operative compatibility between devices that otherwise are incompatible.
- He had an adapter that let him plug his phone into the car's cigarette lighter for power.
- Specifically, a device that permits two, three, or more plugs to be used at a single electrical power point.
- The wall outlet sprouted an electrical monstrosity of adapters plugged into adapters that sparked ominously.
- Specifically, a device that allows one format of plug to be used with a different format of socket.
- We bought adapters to use our three-prong plugs in the two-prong, unpolarized outlets of the old house.
adapter - Computer Definition
A device that allows one system to connect to and work with another. An adapter may be a simple circuit that converts one set of signals to another; however, the term often refers to devices which are more accurately called "controllers." For example, display adapters (graphics cards) and network adapters (NICs) perform extensive processing. See host adapter and expansion bus.