- a salt of acetic acid containing the monovalent, negative radical CHCOO
- an uncharged ester of this acid
- cellulose acetate
- an article or material made with an acetate or with cellulose acetate
Origin: acet(ic) plush -ate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A salt or ester of acetic acid.
- Cellulose acetate or any of various products, especially fibers, derived from it.
acetate - Medical Definition
acetate - Science Definition
- A salt or ester of acetic acid. Salts of acetic acid contain a metal attached to the acetic acid radical CH3COO. Esters contain another radical, such as ethyl, attached to the acetic acid radical.
- Cellulose acetate or a product made from it, especially fibers or film.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.