absolute valueabsolute value
- the magnitude of a real number, disregarding its positive or negative sign: the absolute value of ?4 or +4, written |?4| or |+4|, is 4
- the magnitude of a complex number; modulus
- The numerical value of a real number without regard to its sign. For example, the absolute value of −4 (written |-4|) is 4. Also called numerical value .
- The modulus of a complex number, equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components of the number.
(plural absolute values)
- (mathematics) For a real number, its numerical value without regard to its sign; formally, -1 times the number if the number is negative, and the number unmodified if it is zero or positive; the distance of a quantity from zero on a number line.
- (mathematics) For a complex number, the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts.