Aberdeen[ab′ər dēn′; for 3, ab′ər dēn′]
A view of the rooftops and steeples of Aberdeen, Scotland
- administrative division of E Scotland: formerly a county
- fishing port in E Scotland, on the North Sea: district pop. 205,000
- town in NW Md.: pop. 14,000: site of Aberdeen Proving Ground of the U.S. Army
- A city of northeast Scotland on the North Sea at the mouth of the Dee River. It is known as “the Granite City” because stone from local quarries is used in many of its buildings.
- A city of northwest South Dakota. It was founded as a railroad stop in 1881.