go by the wayside
- The definition of wayside is by the side of the road.
An example of something wayside is a wayside rest stop that is next to the highway.
- Wayside is defined as on or near the edge of the road.
An example of the wayside is the sidewalk.
the edge of a road; area close to the side of a road
on, near, or along the side of a road
to be put aside, shelved, or discarded
The side or edge of a road, way, path, or highway.
Situated at or near the side of a road, way, path, or highway: a wayside inn.
- Situated near the side of a road or path
- We stopped at a wayside pub.
- The arrangement at a wayside station is shown at W.
- The signboard of a wayside inn near Goring Heath in Oxfordshire long bore a portrait of the king with couplets reciting how his majesty "drank from the bowl, and bowl'd for what he drank."
- One of the most interesting topics of study is the trails along which the seasonal and annual migrations of tribes occurred, becoming in Peru the paved road, with suspension bridges and wayside inns, or tambos.
- Then would their children grow stately as noble trees, and their thoughts sweet and pure as wayside flowers.
- For sports fanatics, Wayside West also features over 20 televisions, including a 20-foot screen set.